Semiosis and Computation:
Signs as Tokens for Values + Signs as Tokens for Operations
Or, Using Symbols that Mean and Symbols that Do
What is the value of the string object (in quotes):
- "Computers are useless; they only give you answers."
Examples: change the HTML content (replace one set of representations with another) or initiate other software actions through the interactive elements in a Web browser or app.
Another Example: Use Code Instructions to Create a Button to Perform an Action (Display Date and Time)
What are the diferent symbolic levels in the following:
- Use the words "Georgetown University" in an ordinary sentence.
- Use the words "Georgetown University" in writing.
- Use the character string "Georgetown University" in a word processing document/file.
- Represent the chracters as ASCII code or other internal computer code?
- Use the character string "Georgetown University" in an HTML file displayed in a browser.
- Encode the character string "Georgetown University" in an HTML file as a hypertext link to the website for Georgetown University displayed in a browser.